Dental Exams & Cleanings
Dental Exam in LA
At CCIND, we make every effort to provide our patients with the most thorough exams and cleanings possible. All new patients will receive a comprehensive dental exam during the first appointment.
What is a dental exam?
- X-ray examination (radiographs)- X-rays are necessary to detect decay, bone loss, tumors, cysts and the positions of roots and teeth. These problems usually cannot be seen when the dentist examines the patient’s mouth during a regular dental exam.Our office uses digital x-rays, which emit 90% less radiation than traditional x-rays. See our digital x-ray page for more information. (link)
- Examination of existing restorations- The patient’s existing fillings, crowns, and other restorations will be examined to make sure they are in good condition.
- Examination of tooth decay- Our expert tem of dental professionals will use special dental instruments to inspect all tooth surfaces for any decay.
- Gum disease evaluation- The gums and bone around the teeth will be checked for any signs of periodontal (gum) disease and we will measure the pocket depths between teeth and gums.
- Oral cancer screening- The gums, face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums will be examined for any indications of oral cancer. If there are any signs, we will recommend a more thorough exam.
What is a professional dental cleaning?
Cleanings are performed by our highly qualified dental team and consist of: a) dental prophylaxis b) full mouth debridement c) scale and root planing d) periodontal maintenance d)ARESTIN ®therapy.
- Prophylaxis-A basic cleaning wherein teeth are cleaned and polished to make the surfaces shiny and smooth. The smooth surface will make it harder for bacteria to stick to the teeth until the next cleaning.
- Full mouth debridement- Plaque and tartar are carefully removed above and around the gum line. Growing colonies of bacteria create an almost invisible, sticky film over teeth called plaque. Plaque provides an optimal environment for bacteria to grow. It also releases a toxin that inflames the gums. After about 24 to 48 hours, plaque quickly hardens into calculus or tartar. Calculus firmly attaches to the surface of teeth both above and below the gum line. It cannot be removed by a toothbrush and must be removed by special tools used by the dental professional. Excessive build-up of plaque and tartar results in an ideal environment for bacteria to thrive and can lead to tooth decay and gingivitis (gum disease).
- Scaling and root planing (deep cleaning)- The gums and teeth are cleaned down to the roots to prevent the occurrence or progression of gum disease. As tartar and plaque accumulate under the gums, the pockets between the teeth and gum widen. The continuous accumulation of tartar and plaque and widening of pockets will likely lead to gum disease and tooth loss. During scaling, the plaque and tartar are removed from beneath the gums. During root planing the tooth’s root is smoothed. A smooth root makes it easier for the gums to reattach to the tooth and makes it harder for plaque to accumulate.
- Periodontal maintenance- If the pockets between the gums and teeth are too large, regular maintenance must be done to keep the area above and below the gums are regularly cleaned and disinfected. This is necessary to prevent the growth or relapse of periodontal disease and bone loss.
- ARESTIN® treatment- ARESTIN® is an antibiotic that is used to treat moderate to severe gum disease. It is locally administered between the gum and the tooth and completely painless. The treatment consists of a powder composed of 100,000 tiny microspheres that release antibiotics over time.
ARESTIN® together with scaling and root planning as a gum disease treatment is more effective than scaling and root planning alone because it kills any left behind bacteria. Best of all, ARESTIN® keeps working long after you leave our office. Interested? Refer to https://www.arestin.com for more information.
Call our office today (310.475.5598) to make an appointment or ask any questions!
Schedule a Consultation.
by Anonymous on October 2, 2018
This is a great dental office. They greet you when you enter, and give you a status report on how soon you will be seen. They do thorough and professional work on you, so you are always satisfied with the results. And when you are finished, they are generous with their time planning your next visit, and answering any questions you might have. They also give fantastic advice on what you should be doing at home to maintain great dental health.
by CRYSTAL L on October 2, 2018
First class operation. Excellent care for over a decade!
by NAZY Z on October 2, 2018
On time and took care of exactly what I was concerned about.. Thank you had a great experience
by William (Drew) P on October 2, 2018
The costs are incredibly high, even with insurance. I would not go back and not refer anyone. I am going to try to be placed with a different primary care dentist.
by Kami C on October 2, 2018
He is very patient and kind when dealing with TMD. I also like his techniques he uses to get to the root of the issue and not just patch it up like many dentists I have dealt with before.
by VICTORIA B on October 2, 2018
Office very nice, and staff friendly. Dr Solomon very professional and full of expert information , would go back and tell friends, Thank You