Top 5 Reasons to Visit the Dentist Twice a Year
We know visiting the dentist isn’t most people’s favorite activity, but here are some reasons why it should be a priority.
- For a beautiful smile – At your professional cleaning, plaque is removed and teeth are polished to let the natural beauty of your teeth shine.
- To maintain a healthy smile – Bi-annual cleanings are necessary to remove bacteria and plaque that cannot be removed by your toothbrush. By skipping visits to the dentist, bacteria will continue to accumulate and increase the risk of gum disease.
- To be screened for oral cancer – One of the most important parts of your dental visit is to be screened for oral cancer. Oral cancer is most effectively treated when caught in the early stages yet less than half of patients with oral cancer are cured because they were not caught in the early stages.
- To maintain a healthy body – Most people don’t know that the health of your mouth is directly related to your overall health. Those with gum disease are at a much higher risk for diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, respiratory diseases and strokes. Gum disease has even been linked to Alzheimer’s, rheumatoid arthritis and kidney disease.
- To avoid pain – Regular visits to the dentists are preventative. This ensures that you will keep your teeth healthy, longer and avoid dreaded dental procedures such as root canals. In addition, cavities, fractures, or other tooth problems will be caught and fixed at early on before they progress to more serious and more painful problems.