- As much as possible, avoid disturbing the area with your fingers or tongue. Unless the local anesthetic has totally worn off, prefer cold drinks over hot ones. However, it is advised to avoid hot food or drinks during the first day. Any strenuous activity is prohibited as well, as this can cause bleeding in the treatment sites.
- Reduce the swelling in the area by applying ice packs outside the mouth. Do this for a maximum of 10 minutes with 20-minute intervals between applications. A day after the procedure, gentle heat to the area can help ease the discomfort.
- If you are worried about the pain, don’t be. Pain can be easily managed through simple analgesics or pain killers. Take these regularly for the first two days after your dental implant surgery.
- Brushing your other teeth like the usual is still recommended even on the night of your surgery. Make sure, though, to avoid brushing on the surgical site during the first few days as it might still be tender. Gradually include the area once the tenderness permits.
- Hot salt mouth rinses can help your mouth heal during the first week of your recovery. Although it tastes awful, it is actually beneficial. Just make sure it is not too hot to burn your tongue.
Dental Implants in Los Angeles, CA
Get the facts straight from Los Angeles cosmetic dentist Dr. Sid Solomon and know how to have a smooth sailing recovery after dental implant placement. Dr. Solomon will also provide you with instructions on how to care for your implants and even extend its lifespan. Give us a call at (310) 475-5598 to request a consultation with Dr. Solomon today. We look forward to hearing from you!