Our dentist, Dr. Sid Solomon and his skilled team at CCIND | Dr. Sid Solomon DDS | Cosmetic Dentist | TMJ Expert | Los Angeles are proud to offer complete an thorough dental cleanings to our patients.
What is a professional dental cleaning?
Cleanings are performed by our highly qualified dental team and consist of: a) dental prophylaxis b) full mouth debridement c) scale and root planing d) periodontal maintenance d)ARESTIN ®therapy.
- Prophylaxis-A basic cleaning wherein teeth are cleaned and polished to make the surfaces shiny and smooth. The smooth surface will make it harder for bacteria to stick to the teeth until the next cleaning.
- Full mouth debridement- Plaque and tartar are carefully removed above and around the gum line. Growing colonies of bacteria create an almost invisible, sticky film over teeth called plaque. Plaque provides an optimal environment for bacteria to grow. It also releases a toxin that inflames the gums. After about 24 to 48 hours, plaque quickly hardens into calculus or tartar. Calculus firmly attaches to the surface of teeth both above and below the gum line. It cannot be removed by a toothbrush and must be removed by special tools used by the dental professional. Excessive build-up of plaque and tartar results in an ideal environment for bacteria to thrive and can lead to tooth decay and gingivitis (gum disease).
- Scaling and root planing (deep cleaning)- The gums and teeth are cleaned down to the roots to prevent the occurrence or progression of gum disease. As tartar and plaque accumulate under the gums, the pockets between the teeth and gum widen. The continuous accumulation of tartar and plaque and widening of pockets will likely lead to gum disease and tooth loss. During scaling, the plaque and tartar are removed from beneath the gums. During root planing the tooth’s root is smoothed. A smooth root makes it easier for the gums to reattach to the tooth and makes it harder for plaque to accumulate.
- Periodontal maintenance- If the pockets between the gums and teeth are too large, regular maintenance must be done to keep the area above and below the gums are regularly cleaned and disinfected. This is necessary to prevent the growth or relapse of periodontal disease and bone loss.
- ARESTIN® treatment- ARESTIN® is an antibiotic that is used to treat moderate to severe gum disease. It is locally administered between the gum and the tooth and completely painless. The treatment consists of a powder composed of 100,000 tiny microspheres that release antibiotics over time.
ARESTIN® together with scaling and root planning as a gum disease treatment is more effective than scaling and root planning alone because it kills any left behind bacteria. Best of all, ARESTIN® keeps working long after you leave our office. Interested? Refer to https://www.arestin.com for more information.
Call CCIND | Dr. Sid Solomon DDS | Cosmetic Dentist | TMJ Expert | Los Angeles today (310.475.5598) to ask any questions or to make an appointment at our dental office in Los Angeles, California!